by Zoey Jones
We all struggle with loneliness sometimes, and most of us are searching for love at one time or another. The overpowering feelings that go with either of these emotions can sometimes cause us to do things that we regret later.
Losing your virginity isn't something to be tossed away lightly, and especially not because of jealousy. You're the only one who has to live with yourself for the rest of your life, so your decision is important.
There are a number of reasons why teens have sex before they're ready. Some of these include:
- They don't want to lose the other person.
- They want to just ‘get it over with.'
- The other person wants sex.
- They want to feel grown up.
- They have friends having sex, and feel like they can't talk to them about sex because they are virgins.
I'm sure these feel like good reasons at the time, so how can you control your emotions and make a decision that you can live with? Here are some of the ways that teens have made it work:
- Communicate with the other person and find out their likes and dislikes, their hopes, dreams and goals in life. Are they really right for you?
- Find out what the other person wants from the relationship.
- Don't rush sex until you're sure that you've asked all the questions that you need answered to feel comfortable that you are making the right choice.
- Finally, make sure arrangements have been made to protect both of you from pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
Make your first sexual experience count as something special. I wish I had.